img. KU Leuven
What impact had movements, ideologies, and important modern events in modern and contemporary history on the current European order? Which of them contributed to its shaping? How?
Developed thanks to the contribution of experts and academics from different units of the KU Leuven Faculty of Arts (Modernity & Society 1800-2000, Cultural History since 1750, Literary Theory and Cultural Studies, Arabic Studies), the new MOOC on European History, Society & Culture zooms in on a series of transformative events and developments that are essential for the comprehension of Europe and the world in the contemporary age. The MOOC starts in September 2023 and enrolling is open.
The course helps students understand the transformation from nations and empires to contemporary European and international institutions, the economic and social foundations of the European society, the history of representations in and outside Europe, the development of a European ideal of culture as well as problems of unity and diversity.
Each module explores a specific event by focusing on relevant case studies.
What you’ll learn
- Understand how the French Revolution, the Napoleonic era and the Congress of Vienna transformed Europe and the world
- Learn about European colonialism as well as their contemporary legacy
- Explore a variety of ideas, movements and ideologies that influenced European arts, society and politics
- Understand the emergence of different types of European and international organisations
- Gain the critical skills to understand historical transformations
Upon completion of this course, the students will be able to embark on advanced studies of European history and culture at KU Leuven.
Save the date and pre-enroll here: https://www.edx.org/course/european-history