img. Time Machine project.
The Time Machine FET Flagship builds a Large Scale Simulator mapping 2000 years of European History, transforming kilometres of archives and large collections from museums into a digital information system. These Big Data of the Past are common resources for the future that will have a huge cultural, economical and societal impact. Researchers from all over the world are now joining forces to bring the past back in one of the most ambitious project ever on European culture and identity.
Time Machine is a program that brings together research teams from all over Europe and the participation of about 200 institutions. The goal of this consortium is to develop new technologies for the scanning, analyzing, accessing, preserving and communicating of cultural heritage at a massive scale. Data extracted from this digital patrimony are the basis for the reconstruction of the historical evolution of most European cities and the economical, cultural and migration networks between these urban nodes.
- The project has a large European coverage with already 233 partners in 33 countries
- It pushes the research in the most advanced Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning technologies to extend the realm of Big Data to the past
- It develops a unique 4D IT technology enabling navigation through time as easily as we navigate through space
- It is based on Europe’s unique asset: its long history, its multi-linguism and multiculturalism
- It has a large expected impact on the sector of tourism (600 million tourists per year), media industries (new forms of virtual reality) and for the development of start-ups exploiting long data series analysis for making prediction using Artificial Intelligence techniques. It is not unlikely that the next Google will emerge out of these technologies
Photoconsortium has recently been included in the network of interested partners and will follow closely the developments of the Time Machine.
More information: https://timemachine.eu/