On May 20th it’s “Open, Sesame!” at Pisa’s Museo della Grafica. Precisely on the European Night of Museums, PHOTOCONSORTIUM and Europeana will launch the Europeana Photography thematic collection: an online platform that celebrates early photography by showcasing some of the finest historical collections around. Virtual exhibitions, themed galleries, blogposts and readymade queries will guide you through this treasure trove. But you’re more than welcome to go off and explore on your own, using our state-of-the-art search and filter tools! Image by image, story by story, you’ll get immersed in today’s remnants of a world long gone. Join us at the launch event and prepare to get carried away by compelling stories and visual wizardry!
- What? Launch event with official kick-off and live demonstration of the new platform
- When? Saturday 20 May, h18.00 onwards
- Where? Museo della Grafica: Palazzo Lanfranchi Lungarno Galilei 9 – I-56125 Pisa
- Who? Photography enthusiasts + cultural heritage fans and pros
- How? Just drop by – admission is free on this European Night of Museums!
- More? photoconsortium.net | europeana.eu
PHOTOCONSORTIUM, International Consortium for Photographic Heritage, and EUROPEANA, the great European digital library – proudly present: the Europeana Photography Thematic Collection, offering hundreds of thousands of top-quality images, just a click away! This treasure trove of carefully selected and curated pictures from the first 100 years of photography will be accessible via a new online platform, hosted by Europeana. Our promise? High-end images and compelling stories with top-notch provenance in a safe online environment. The Europeana Photography Thematic Collection will launch on May 20th and is bound to become an unmissable resource for educators, creative industries and photography enthusiasts.
- h18,00 Registration
- Opening: Presentation of the European Night of Museums and scope of the event / Alessandro Tosi, University of Pisa, director of the Museum of Graphics
- Presentation of Photoconsortium Association / Antonella Fresa, Promoter, vicepresident of Photoconsortium
- Engaging Collective Memories. The contribution of Europeana Photography to education / Fred Truyen, KU Leuven, president of Photoconsortium
- Introducing Europeana Collections / Douglas McCarthy, Europeana Foundation
- Live demo of the Europeana Photography Thematic Collection / Sofie Taes, curator of the channel
- Question and Answer session
- h20,00 Closing of the event and refreshments
In addition to the conference, the attendees and visitors of the Museum will have the occasion to play with Man Meets World, a virtual interactive exhibition about Belle Epoque, powered with the E-Space MuPop technology, and to enjoy photographic masterpieces from PHOTOCONSORTIUM members in a physical exhibition displayed next to the current content of the Museum of Graphics, which is open for the occasion until 23.30.