The Andrei Stenin International Press Photo Contest was established on December 22, 2014 by Rossiya Segodnya under the patronage of the Russian Federation’s Commission for UNESCO. The Stenin Contest is the only competition in Russia that discovers new names in international photojournalism and develops quality standards for documentary photography. The contest is aimed at supporting young photo journalists aged 18 to 33 in their striving for top professionalism. The contest was launched in memory of Rossiya Segodnya photojournalist Andrei Stenin, who died while on assignment in August 2014.
The contest offers young photo journalists an opportunity to make their concerns known. The main themes of the contest include global humanitarian challenges, national identity, social equality and the environment. The number of contest participants and the countries they come from has been growing every year. The contest itself is gaining popularity also thanks to the exhibitions of the winning entries, which have become an integral part of the event. They have been held in dozens of countries, including China, South Africa, Mexico, Argentina, Uruguay, Turkey, Lebanon, Germany, Spain, Italy, Greece, Hungary and Poland.
In 2021 around 4,500 entries from 70 countries were submitted.
The annual application period starts on stenincontest.ru|stenincontest.com on December 22, the birthday of Andrei Stenin. The entries will be accepted on the contest’s website until February 28, 2022 in Russian, English and Chinese.
- Top News – one photo image/series of images
- Sports – one photo image/series of images
- My Planet – one photo image/series of images
- A Hero of Our Time – one photo image/series of images
Download information leaflet (PDF)
– Grand Prix – RUB 700,000 (seven hundred thousand)/about USD 9,500.
– First Place for one photo image/series of images in each category – RUB 125,000 (one hundred and twenty-five thousand)/about USD 1700.
– Second Place for one photo image/series of images in each category – RUB 100,000 (one hundred thousand)/about USD 1360.
– Third Place for one photo image/series of images in each category – RUB 75,000 (seventy-five thousand)/about USD 1000.
Contest Sponsors may also offer additional prizes.
The 2021 international jury included top photojournalists and editors from the world’s leading periodicals: Alberto Prina, the founder and coordinator of the annual Festival of Ethical Photography (Festival della Fotografia Etica) held in Lodi, Italy; Ruth Eichhorn, freelance Photo Editor and Curator, former Director of Photography for German GEO magazine; Yury Kozyrev, Russian photojournalist, Valery Melnikov, Rossiya Segodnya special correspondent; winner of many national and international photo contests; Andreas Trampe, Director of photography Stern magazine; Ian Landsberg, African News Agency Photo Director.