img. credits: Fortepan via Europeana.
A new CEF funded project has just started, and the kick-off meeting was celebrated in Hilversum on 5-6 March 2020, hosted by project coordinator Netherlands Institute for Sound and Vision. It was a lively and productive event with presentations, discussions, planning, and various groups activities, in the lovely Institute’s building. Some of the partners representatives could not travel to Holland and a live streaming was therefore set up, which guaranteed inclusive participation.
In this project, 5 Domain and Thematic Aggregators join forces with technology and educational partners, to stimulate reflection and debate on European recent history, and to improve and enrich Europeana.eu, the European digital library. Overarching theme: the 20th century as a gamechanger, whose impact on society is extensively documented in photographs, audiovisuals and other types of media.
We’re heading for…
- a new Thematic Collection in Europeana.eu with compelling editorials
- 100.000 new high quality records
- smart tools to support curators
- machine translation and semantic enrichment to hundreds of thousands of Europeana records
- an online and on site outreach strategy
Download a presentation by Sofie Taes (KU Leuven), Berlin 19/2/2020 – PDF, 6 Mb
- Netherlands Institute for Sound and Vision
- Istituto Luce Cinecittà
- Filmoteka Narodowa Instytut Audiowizualny
- KU Leuven
- DFF Deutsches Filminstitut Filmmuseum
- European Fashion Heritage Association
- NTUA National Technical University of Athens
- Technische Informationsbibliothek
- Jewish Heritage Joods Historisch Museum
PHOTOCONSORTIUM brings in the expertise on metadata, content curation, storytelling and user engagement that comes from previous successful experiences such as the curation of the Europeana Photography thematic collection, the participation in the MIgration project, the recent 50s in Europe Kaleidoscope CEF project focused on user engagement and storytelling, and the highly participative and co-creative experience of WeAre#EuropeForCulture. In addition to this, and in its role of accredited aggregator for photography, PHOTOCONSORTIUM will source brand new content from partners collections, to be ingested in Europeana and to showcase in the new Europeana XX Thematic Collection.
The project Europeana XX is co-financed by the European Union in the framework of CEF Connecting Europe Facility Programme under.